After receiving possibly the best gift ever: a kit that allows me to simply grow my own mushrooms at home, I’ve been following the successes of the pair behind Back to the Roots. Their business is local and clever, and admirably supports sustainability as well as a way for children to learn about nature and food. I urge you to check out their site and grow your own oyster mushrooms from a box. Here are a couple pics from the beginning of my mushroom growing adventure, plus simple directions as found inside the kit or online.
Grows up to 1.5 lbs
- 1 Mushroom Kit, which can be found here: Back to the Roots
- water to soak and mist
- Remove the rectangle cutout in the front of the box.
- Take the bag out of the box and slit the plastic in an X shape from corner to corner.
- Submerge the bag in a cold, water-filled bucket for 24 hours, placing a weight on top to keep it from floating.
- Remove from water, shake off excess, then place back in box and on a plate.
- The box should be near fresh air and indirect light, but not in an air-conditioned room.
- Continue misting the soil under the slits about 2X / day, applying 2 – 4 sprays each time.
- Ideal harvest is when the largest caps reach about 1-1.5 in in diameter.
- Repeat steps 1 – 6 through the back of the box for second crop.