Meatloaf may sound old-fashioned to you, but this Paleo / Perfect Health Diet version packs in a lot of taste with buffalo meat and a mirepoix combination. You can usually find buffalo meat at specialty butcher shops and at Whole Foods on occasion.
- 1.5 lbs ground buffalo
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, ends removed and finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a skillet and add onion, celery, carrot and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat for a few minutes, until softened.
- Let cool, then transfer to a large bowl and add flax seeds, eggs, parsley, ketchup and salt & pepper.
- Stir in buffalo gently, then form into a rectangular baking dish greased with remaining coconut oil.
- Smear tomato paste over the top, then pop into a 375 degree oven for about 50 minutes, or until center reaches 160 degrees.