Looking for a simple, tasty way to prepare this magical fruit? Soaking and simmering provides a nice rich flavor minus the indigestion. Makes a great base for any garnishes used to spice up a dish and can even be transformed into a complete meal with a side of steamed rice.
- 3 cups dry pinto beans, soaked in 6 cups water overnight & rinsed
- 6 cups chicken stock or water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and add onions.
- Salt and stir and cook until softened and clear, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, stock or water and bay leaves and turn down to a very low simmer for about 60 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, stir well and serve with any garnish you choose – my favorite, of course, is sliced avocado.