No part of the precious avocado should go to waste – that is my mantra. As you’ve seen in previous posts, skins get composted in my worm bin. The flesh, of course, gets eaten, but now you may also sprout that seed to grow your very own avocado tree. Follow these initial steps and stay tuned for the next Phase in a later post. Happy sprouting!
Sprouting The Seed
- 1 organic avocado seed, rinsed
- 1 small glass jar
- 3 wooden toothpicks
- water to fill jar
- Thoroughly wash your avocado seed.
- Poke the toothpicks into the seed so that they are evenly spaced around the middle.
- Suspend the seed with the heavy side down over the jar of water, (About 3cm of the seed should be sitting in water).
- Place the seed out of direct sunlight and top up the water as needed.
- In 2-6 weeks, roots and a stem should start to sprout.